||Cabin Max||padded adjustable shoulder straps – side compression strap – top handle – 3 zipped main compartments, 2 zipped internal compartments – front pocket – padlock-compatible zips – 600D waterproof polyester||High End||CHECK LATEST PRICE!|
||Jeep||Padded shoulder straps – wide sponged back strap – carry handle on top and front – side compression straps – 2 double-zipped interior compartments, zipped front pocket – interior organiser with detachable key fob – front pocket organiser – shrouded zip lines – easy-wipe interior||Mid range||CHECK LATEST PRICE!|
||More4bags||Adjustable padded shoulder straps – back padding – rubber grab handles at the side and on top – cross-body front clip – double-zipped interior compartment with cross-over strap – 2 outer compartments, 1 with organiser pocket – 600D waterproof polyester – padlock-compatible zips||Affordable||CHECK LATEST PRICE!|
Best Hand Backpacks & Rucksacks For The Cabin
Since they’re flexible, practical and easy to carry, backpacks are a popular option for travellers, especially those who are going by air – these days, there are strict regulations on the size and weight of carry-on luggage. That’s why the best backpacks conform to these rules, although the variety out there can get confusing. Let’s take a look at three of the best backpacks and their features.
Cabin Max Metz Backpack Review – Our Number 1
This compact, square-shaped and very affordable backpack has had rave reviews online (lowest price here!), and is certainly in line with size regulations for carry-ons on budget British airlines like Ryanair and EasyJet.
- Its 44-litre capacity is spacious, with room for plenty of clothes and other packing as well as essentials; the outer dimensions are 55 x 40 x 20 centimetres, so it’s easy to store, as well as compliant with airline rules.
- Weighing in at only 660 grams, it’s ultra-lightweight for its size and capacity; customers report that it can store up to 10 kilograms of packing, which is the upper weight limit for carry-on luggage. It is much lighter than a hardshell case, and more convenient to carry, too, even without pull-out handles or wheels – this light weight means you can take more with you.
- With its thick padded shoulder straps, which are adjustable to suit your shoulders, and compact size, it’s comfortable to carry on your back. There’s a handle on the top, so you can carry it by hand if you wish. It also features side compression straps that allow you to adjust the size when it’s not filled to maximum capacity, making it even smaller when needed and ensuring that it can be stored easily.
- It has three zipped main compartments and two zipped internal compartments, so packing can be divided up and sectioned off easily; the zipped outer front pocket is also a handy place to store documents and items that need to be readily accessed, such as a passport and tickets or toiletries to be checked. The zips are large and sturdy, with a solid and heavy-duty feel to them, and are unlikely to break or get stuck when treated properly; they also have eyes for padlocks, so you can secure your belongings further.
- The outer material is 600D polyester, which is waterproof – great if the weather forecast for your destination is uncertain.
- Coming in many different colours and patterns, you’ll be spoilt for choice.
At its price, this backpack offers good value – and its compact yet spacious design will be a boon to any traveller. The padded shoulder straps and compression straps are a particularly nice touch, too.
Features: padded adjustable shoulder straps – side compression strap – top handle – 3 zipped main compartments, 2 zipped internal compartments – front pocket – padlock-compatible zips – 600D waterproof polyester
Pricing: High end
Jeep Hand Luggage Review – Number 2
- With a 30-litre capacity, this backpack isn’t as spacious as the Cabin Max model, but is a little smaller – 48 x 37 x 20 centimetres in diameter. This is compliant with the rules for hand luggage size set out by budget British airlines, too.
- At 576 grams, it’s lightweight, but remains sturdy, perfect for carrying heavy items like laptops. If it isn’t full to capacity, you can tighten the bag with the side compression straps, so it’s smaller and your items are more secure inside.
- Its wide shoulder straps are ergonomically designed to avoid twisting, and contoured to fit the natural structure of the back and shoulders, with added padding that helps keep you comfortable. They can be adjusted with the help of a buckle, and there’s a 1.5-inch-wide sponged back strap for extra comfort. Two carry handles, respectively on the top and front side of the backpack, allow you to pick it up easily.
- It has one main double-zipped compartment that’s spacious enough for a laptop up to 17 inches, and another double-zipped pocket for other travel accessories; the zipped pocket on the front is useful for items like a passport or tickets that need to be easily accessible, and has its own organiser compartments.
- The interior pocket organiser has mesh divider pockets for pens and pencils and for your mobile phone; it also features a detachable key fob, and is tailored for headphone access.
- Easy-running zip lines, shrouded in the right places to avoid rain damage, and sturdy zip tags make opening and closing this bag fuss-free.
- If you’re wearing a waterproof jacket, for example, there is a buckle clip on either side of the bag for security, and two more at the bottom of the front side; there’s also a waist buckle clip for extra back support.
- The easy-wipe interior lining is useful, especially if you’re carrying a water bottle or food.
Although smaller than some of its contemporaries, this Jeep backpack is a perfect hand-luggage size, and provides the advantage of having ergonomically designed straps that make carrying it a breeze. Its zipped pockets and inside mesh dividers are great for staying organised, and the numerous clips it features will keep it on your back, no problem.
Features: padded shoulder straps – wide sponged back strap – carry handle on top and front – side compression straps – 2 double-zipped interior compartments, zipped front pocket – interior organiser with detachable key fob – front pocket organiser – shrouded zip lines – easy-wipe interior
More4bags Review – Number 3
- Like the Aerolite model, it has a capacity of 44 litres, but is around the same size as the Jeep backpack at 50 x 40 x 20 centimetres in diameter.
- It’s heavier than the other two featured here at 1.2 kilograms, although still adequately light when filled to fit into airline restrictions.
- Reinforced adjustable shoulder straps, with sturdy padding for comfort, and Air-Flow back padding make it easy to wear on your back; they also feature a handy D-ring, and there’s a cross-body front clip. The bag has rubber grab handles at the side and on top, as well as two side compression straps that can be used to tighten the bag and make it smaller if it’s not full to maximum.
- The internal double-zipped main compartment has an elasticated cross-over strap that helps stop your packing getting bundled up at the bottom, while the outer compartments have useful storage, too – the larger one has an internal organiser pocket for small items to stop them rattling.
- The backpack is made from waterproof 600D lightweight polyester, which is great if you’re going abroad somewhere rainy!
- The chunky, sturdy metal zips have padlock holes for added security.
It may be a good deal heavier than the Aerolite or Jeep backpacks also reviewed here, but this bag is just fine if you’re on a budget – and being waterproof is a bonus.
Features: Adjustable padded shoulder straps – back padding – rubber grab handles at the side and on top – cross-body front clip – double-zipped interior compartment with cross-over strap – 2 outer compartments, 1 with organiser pocket – 600D waterproof polyester – padlock-compatible zips
Although the Jeep and More4bagz backpacks have some great features between them, and are perfectly competent, The Cabin Max slightly pricier model is a surefire winner. Having three inner and two outer zipped compartments is great if you want to section off your packing (e.g., clean and dirty laundry), and it’s as spacious as the More4bagz model while being much lighter – the fact that it comes in so many colours is a nice addition, too!